Spotlight On: How to access Medicaid Waiver services available through Florida’s Agency for Persons with Disabilities (APD) to support the health and welfare of persons with intellectual/developmental disabilities.
To learn more and to RSVP for the April Family Forum, CLICK HERE>>>
About STARability Family Forums:
At STARability Foundation, we’re a family bound together by having someone very special to us with a developmental disability. Families started the organization more than 30 years ago to support one another and create opportunities for their loved ones. In continuing that tradition, we invite you to participate in our quarterly FAMILY FORUM, featuring engaging presentations, open discussion, and valuable takeaways.
Each forum will feature different topics of interest involving different areas of community resources, information, and opportunities for individuals with developmental disabilities. These topics came about after an online survey of our members, families, and caregivers in May. Four topics scored the highest in interest and will be featured in the first series of panels in September, December, April, and July. The meeting times will vary but will be held on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday mornings, which also ranked the highest for day/time slots as tallied in our rating survey.
Engaging presentations, with fun refreshments, will be followed by Q&A/networking sessions. Together, we’ll explore community resources, issues and pathways to enhance the quality of life.
Next Family Forum:
Date: Tuesday, April 2nd, 2019
RSVP By: Wednesday, March 27th, 2019
Time: 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Location: Naples Therapeutic Riding Center (Community Room)
Topic: How to get on the iBudget Waiver (Medicaid Waiver) and why the waitlist is so long in Florida. Through federal and matching state funding, the waiver provides access to services that ensure individuals with intellectual/developmental disabilities (I/DD):
- Have a safe place to live.
- Have a meaningful day activity.
- Receive medically necessary medical and dental services.
- Receive medically necessary supplies and equipment.
- Receive transportation required to access necessary waiver services.
The purpose of the waiver is to:
- Promote and maintain the health and welfare of eligible individuals with developmental disabilities.
- Provide medically necessary supports and services to delay or prevent institutionalization.
- Foster the principles of self-determination as a foundation for services and supports.
Upcoming Family Forum Panel Topics:
• How to seek out housing solutions for your STARability member, including group home living options that are currently available.
• Highlight solutions that have emerged nationwide and potential emerging opportunities in our area.