Learn How to Access APD Services
Spotlight On: How to access Medicaid Waiver services available through Florida’s Agency for Persons with Disabilities (APD) to support the health and welfare of persons with intellectual/developmental disabilities.
Dr. Elizabeth Perkins, director of the Florida DD Waitlist Campaign and president of the national board for American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (I/DD), will talk about how vital the waiver is to the health and well-being of individuals with I/DD. And, she’ll rally support for the 24,000 people on the waitlist to receive services in Florida, ranking it 49th nationally. In Collier County, a total of 231 individuals receive Medicaid Waiver services, while about 200 are on the waitlist.
Date: Tuesday, April 2, 2019
Time: 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
RSVP By: Wednesday, March 27, 2019
Location: Naples Therapeutic Riding Center (Community Room)
Address: 206 Ridge Drive, Naples, FL 34108
Don’t miss out on this opportunity to hear about how to get on the iBudget Waiver (Medicaid Waiver) and why the waitlist is so long in Florida. Through federal and matching state funding, the waiver provides access to services that ensure individuals with intellectual/developmental disabilities (I/DD):
• Have a safe place to live.
• Have a meaningful day activity.
• Receive medically necessary medical and dental services.
• Receive medically necessary supplies and equipment.
• Receive transportation required to access necessary waiver services.
The purpose of the waiver is to:
• Promote and maintain the health and welfare of eligible individuals with developmental disabilities.
• Provide medically necessary support and services to delay or prevent institutionalization.
• Foster the principles of self-determination as a foundation for services and support.
Dr. Elizabeth Perkins, director of the Florida DD Waitlist Campaign, will explain how the need for services far surpasses the current funding allocated by the Florida Legislature.
Other speakers include:
• Leah Watson, Human Services Program Specialist, Agency for Persons with Disabilities-Suncoast Region (Area 8 APD)
• Barbara Braun, Waiver Support Coordinator/Consultant, A Team Approach
• We’ll also hear a success story from a parent who accessed services.
The public is invited to the STARability Foundation’s Family Forum Event, on April 2, 2019. This is an educational FREE event for individuals with intellectual and developmental challenges and their families, from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM at the Naples Therapeutic Riding Center (Community Room) at 206 Ridge Drive, Naples, FL 34108. RSVP is required! To register for the event click here.
Hosted by STARability’s Executive Director Karen Govern, the Family Forum will include an informative panel discussion.
This event is FREE and open to the public, but space is limited, so please RSVP by March 27, 2019. You can RSVP by clicking the link above, calling our office at 239-594-9007 or email info@STARability.org.
Community Partners Participating Include